Department of Economics
The Department of Economics in the EMU Faculty of Business and Economics, in addition to local students, is recruiting students every year from Turkey and elsewhere. In view of the international nature of its academic staff and student body, the program and its facilities are parallel to equivalent universities in Europe and North America.
In short, the Department of Economics is ready to teach modern economics and to produce competent individuals for the future with the help of experienced academics from different countries.
Prof. Dr. MEHMET BALCILAR
Assoc. Prof. Dr. KAMİL SERTOĞLU
The aim of the Department of Economics is to equip students with up-to-date knowledge and skills to function effectively, both locally and in an increasingly competitive world. Our educational standards are equivalent to those offered in some of the best European and American universities, our professional qualifications are recognized in North Cyprus, Turkey and around the world, and our graduates have proved to be highly successful in a diverse range of careers.
General Education Concept
The primary objective of the Faculty of Business and Economics is:
- To educate students in the concepts and approaches of banking, business, economics, European studies, finance, international relations, international trade, management information systems, political science and public administration in preparation for careers in which they make significant and lasting contributions to the contemporary world.
- To offer programs of study consistent with its educational aim of preparing men and women to be leaders of enterprise; professionals with the individualism, insight, and strength of will to manage effectively, and with the sensitivity and understanding which makes teamwork possible.
With the aim of bringing up globally competitive graduates, the Department offers courses in English and has the following resources/facilities;
- Computer labs;
- Multimedia rooms;
- Fully equipped research center;
- The Center for Economic Research, providing research and consultative services to all public and private agencies;
- An annual economics symposium.
Graduates have a wide area of employment opportunities. Their knowledge and skills in economics as well as their good command of English and computer applications, as well as familiarity with global issues opens up employment opportunities in international organizations, multinational companies and public services and in private businesses.
Part-time Academic Staff