The aim of the Computer Programming program is to equip students with a strong foundation needed for practical applications in Computer Programming (CP). The programme focuses on satisfying the needs of learners with a balanced education between the theoretical and practical concepts required for each module.
This is a 3-year technician academic programme. First year of the program focuses on developing the knowledge about Basic English, mathematics and computer hardware/software. Students pursue their summer internship and gain experience in the industry, at the end of first year. During their second year, courses on computer networks, internet programming, object-oriented programming, database programming and management are offered, which improve their knowledge and prepare them for employment in the industry. Third year of the programme includes advanced technical courses for improving the practical applications and problem solving abilities of students and 80 days training in the industry which integrates the students with the industry before graduating.
Computer Programming program has the ASIIN certification. ASIIN (Accreditation Agency Specialized in Accrediting Degree Programs in Engineering, Informatics, the Natural Sciences and Mathematics) is one of the most important quality assurance institutions for technical and scientific study programs.
ASIIN: Accreditation Agency for Degree Programmes in Engineering, Informatics, Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Accreditation Agency for Degree Programmes in Engineering, Informatics, Natural Sciences and Mathematics
The educational objectives of the Computer Programming program are as listed below.
- have developed foundations necessary for informatics, in particular with mathematical, logical, statistical, and physical tools.
- are capable of understanding foundations of informatics, in an abstract form which is not dependent on actual technical realization.
- have developed knowledge about algorithms, data structures and problem-solving patterns.
- have developed understanding of the composition and functioning of computers and key informatics systems such as operating systems, database systems, and communication systems.
- are able to develop, verify and test software projects typically used in informatics.
- are able to develop solutions for practical problems using informatics techniques and evaluate them.
- have developed the knowledge for the history of informatics.
- are aware of ethical questions and security problems connected with the application of information processing systems.
- have developed interpersonal skills in order to share knowledge and experience with others
- have the ability to participate effectively in the planning and execution of team-based projects
- are able to independently complement and deepen the knowledge acquired during their studies and to adapt to developments in the field.
- are prepared to take on responsibility in technical roles
- will be aware of developments in information technology and their possible effects on business and society.
- have the chance to deepen their experience to adapt to developments on real life applications.
- are able to integrate to the industry due the long training period.
- have experience of solving application problems in teams covering all phases of system development, from analysis of requirements, specification and implementation to testing.
- have developed knowledge for data availability, confidentiality and integrity.
The learning outcomes of the Computer Programming program are as listed below.
- Graduates have up to date fundamental theoretical and practical knowledge in CP field
- Graduates can use all practical skills and basic theoretical methods and techniques in the CP field
- Graduates are well informed on institutional culture, management and organizational components of business
- Graduates can utilize algorithmic thinking and planning approaches in their applications
- Graduates can design and implement database applications for small and medium size projects
- Graduates can design and implement web-based projects
- Graduates can design and implement desktop applications using up to date approaches and tools
- Graduates can work effectively both in teams and individually
- Graduates can follow the latest developments in the IT field with the awareness that lifelong learning is essential
- Graduates has improved skills in oral and written communication in the IT field
- Graduates have basic English knowledge in oral and written communication
- Graduates are aware of the importance of use of professional ethics in the IT field
- Graduates can identify problems and apply basic problem-solving skills
- Graduates further improve their practical applications skills
- Graduates are equipped with the latest know-how and are readily employable
- Graduates are specialized in core areas of related fields
- Graduates form a professional network in their field
Graduates of the program have the opportunity of continuing their studies at Information Technology Bachelor Program offered by the School of Computing and Technology. On the other hand, they may be employed in the following fields in the industry:
- Web design / programming
- Computer setup and maintenance
- Desktop publishing
- Computer network maintenance
- System and application development
- Database design
For detailed information about courses please refer to Modules Handbook