The fundamental mission of the program is to bring up well-qualified and highly-motivated intermediate workforce equipped with theoretical and practical information, possessing the skills to use computers and technology effectively when needed, following the new developments in their area of profession, communicating in a foreign language, easily adapting to changes, effectively working in a team, possessing cultural awareness and professional ethics in catering for the demand from the hospitals and health institutions both in Turkey and the TRNC. The program endeavors to meet the demand for professionals who will deliver high-quality services in the use, maintenance and repair of the biomedical equipment.
The freshman year focuses on the development of a second language and the introduction and analysis of the sub-fields of the profession through courses training students on the basic electricity, electronics, numerical electronics, formation of the biological indicators, measurement of the EEG, EMG,EOG and ECG indicators and computer skills. During the second year, courses focus on both theory and application and cover the topics of medical instrumentation, failure in biomedical systems, medical imaging systems and medical applications in private and state hospitals.
Biomedical Equipment Technology program has the ASIIN accreditation. ASIIN (Accreditation Agency Specialized in Accrediting Degree Programs in Engineering, Informatics, the Natural Sciences and Mathematics) is one of the most important quality assurance institutions for technical and scientific study programs
ASIIN: Accreditation Agency for Degree Programmes in Engineering, Informatics, Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Accreditation Agency for Degree Programmes in Engineering, Informatics, Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Having gained the approval of the Turkish Higher Education Board (YÖK) and the Higher Education Planning, Evaluation, Accreditation and Coordination Council (YÖDAK), the program offers high quality education through the prominent academic staff and up-to-date technological facilities. The program also offers hands-on practice for students through laboratories and internship opportunities.
The Biomedical Equipment Technology Department boasts two electronics laboratories housing single experiment tables containing an oscilloscope, a power unit and indicator generators for 20 students. The biomedical equipment laboratory offers practice opportunities for students through the ECG, ECG simulation, respiratory rate, blood pressure, EMG, EEG and EOG training sets. The microprocessor laboratory provides students opportunities for Arduino microprocessor training and PLC. The LPFK fast PCB prototyping device is also available in department.
The educational objectives of the BET program are as listed below.
- are prepared as entry-level technicians responsible for the operation, inspection, installation, repair, maintenance and safety of patient-care and non-critical patient care equipment.
- develop skills for effective verbal and written communication, and for participating effectively in the execution of projects, and to foster professional attitudes and awareness of the benefits of life-long learning.
- have a learning environment that is based on open interaction with experienced staff and a curriculum that follows the developments in BET field with practical knowledge compatible with business requirements.
The learning outcomes of the BET program are as listed below.
- use theoretical and practical knowledge and skills to analyse, troubleshoot, and maintain systems and devices used in the biomedical equipment industry.
- can apply acquired skills and learn new skills by engaging in lifelong learning
- can work as a productive and responsible team member.
- can adapt to changing business requirements by using their practical skills.
- have improved skills in oral and written communication in the biomedical technology field.
- have basic English knowledge in oral and written communication.
- are aware of the importance of use of professional ethics in the biomedical technology field.
Graduates of the department serve as intermediate workforce working towards the elevation of work quality in the sector.
BMET graduates may be employed in the following fields
- Public and private hospitals
- Medical laboratories
- Electronic and medical instrumentation manufacturers
- Contract maintenance
- Technical Support Services of medical device companies