1. How do I go about my admission and what are the requirements?
The admission process in Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) is easy, simple, straightforward, and organized to be followed, giving every procedure for each section Online Application. EMU admits freshmen, graduates and transfer students into various programs twice a year (Fall and Spring) with different admission requirements respectively. General documents required are:-
Documents Required for Undergraduate Application
- Photocopies of Higher Secondary School Certificate and transcript (mark sheets).
- One passport-sized photograph
- Two letters of reference (one must be academic)
- Photocopy of the international passport (relevant data page) or birth certificate
- A copy of proof of English Proficiency if any
Documents Requested for Transfer Application
- Photocopies of Higher Secondary School Certificate / Diploma and Associate Degree or a National Diploma
- Academic record / mark sheets (transcript)
- Short course descriptions
- Photocopy of the international passport (relevant data page) or birth certificate
- One photograph
Documents needed for Graduate Application
- An official transcript of all university-level courses taken. A comparative mark/grade table if CGPA on the transcript is not out of 4.00.
- Attested photocopies of diplomas received from a university or equivalent institutions (i.e. 4 years study bachelor degree). English translations of these documents are necessary if they are in any language other than English.
- Documentation of scores received for English and academic proficiency exams/tests. This is not valid for the programs in which the medium of instruction is Turkish. Native speakers should indicate the place of birth and citizenship. All others should provide documents of any one of the below given English Proficiency Tests.
- Three letters of reference (not required for EMU graduates).
- Give details of any grant/scholarships that you have already been awarded (valid for your studentship at EMU) (add documents).
- Give details of any application(s) for a grant/scholarship that you have made (add documents).
- Statement of Purpose / Intention (Please submit on a separate sheet: Your purpose in applying to the program chosen, explaining your motivation as well as the areas of specialization which would be of interest to you within the discipline).
- A photocopy of your passport or I.D. card (relevant data page).
- Two passport-sized (approx. 6 cm x 5 cm) photographs.
- Program specific documents: Architecture (Ph.D. & Master): Portfolio.
- Candidates are required to submit a document of financial guarantee showing that sufficient funds are available for tuition and living expenses.
Note: English translations of these documents are necessary if they are in any language other than English.
2. Are there any scholarship(s) awarded to students of EMU?
Yes, there are! All international students at Undergraduate and Masters Programs are considered to have 50% scholarship (over tuition fee) upon admission for all faculties except Faculty of Pharmacy and Faculty of Medicine. In Faculty of Medicine, there is no scholarship. Faculty of Pharmacy may offer 25% to 50% merit based scholarships. PhD programs offer one 100% or two 50% scholarships to new international students. The TRNC Ministry of Education awards scholarships to international students based on their previous academic performances in EMU and other TRNC Universities. EMU also offers various scholarships to her students based on their merit performances Undergraduate Scholarships and Postgraduate Scholarships
3. How much is the tuition fee?
When compared with other world leading universities, Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) has a very reasonable tuition fee plan for her students, making it so possible for them to get their dreamt international careers come-through. Not only that the tuition fee is affordable, students of EMU on the other hand, enjoy scholarships depending on their academic, sporting, and exceptional qualities they possess, diming it fit for them to actualize their dreams Tuition Fees & Payment
4. Do I require a visa to enter North Cyprus?
Depending on your country, you may require a visa to enter any Turkish Territory (North Cyprus Inclusive), as stipulated by the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa. Therefore, it is advisable to go through their website (link provided), and find out if your country is included for a visa or not.
5. What kind of accommodation(s) is/are available in EMU and Famagusta?
Modern and state-of-the-art dormitories, flats, bungalows and duplexes are the various kinds of houses you can see in EMU and Famagusta. Our on-campus dormitories provide residential facilities for 9000 students, each, to student’s payment capability. We believe that staying in a dormitory where all types of technological, cultural and sportive facilities are offered under campus safety, will be a best start for your academic life. Students sharing the same environment with foreign students get to know different cultures and people, helping them to easily develop communication with the world. In this way, lots of our students create strong friendship ties and carry on these friendships after university. Dormitories page.
6. Are there potential exchange programs for EMU students?
With the aim of giving students a chance to have an educational experience in different institutions, EMU has settled numerous student exchange program collaborations with prominent institutions throughout the world. Students who choose to take part in these student exchange programs are offered the opportunity of studying in a host institution for a semester and transferring the credits gained in these institutions back to EMU. Some of the institutions Eastern Mediterranean University has settled student exchange collaborations with are, Central Connecticut State University, California Long Beach State University, San Diego State University and Louisiana State University, all in the USA. Others include Canadian, German, Korean, Italian, Kazakh and Denmark Universities. There are no doubts exchange students gain experiences during their periods by the world exposure they get through EMU International Office Website
7. Do you offer The International Summer School?
Affirmatively we do! Every year, EMU International Summer School runs a full range of courses and extra afternoon clubs to improve participants’ language skills. Besides, a wide range of cultural, artistic and sports activities and trips are also offered throughout day and night. The courses are offered in the university’s extensively large and amazing campus. The main campus is located 5 minutes driving distance from the university’s private recreational complex EMU Beach Club, which is located on the sea side with a wonderful view of the pure Mediterranean Sea. Eastern Mediterranean University is a scientific, cultural and educational center of Northern Cyprus which is internationally recognized and has a worthy place in the world’s high quality universities. Summer School Website
8. Are there orientation programs for new students?
Eastern Mediterranean University (a safe multicultural environment), offers orientation programs to her new students knowing full well first impressions are important since they establish the basis for everything that follows. Without orientation, a new student sometimes feels uncomfortable in his/her new environment and takes longer to reach his/her full potential.
The Personal-Social Integration of our new students is a main goal to reach during the orientation days. This will involve providing students with information about the institution’s values, behavioral norms, support services, and better acquaintance with other new students, current students, faculty, and staff. Therefore, events, seminars and campus tours are organized to this end.
Do Join, Belong and Learn!!! Orientation Days
9. What are the important dates to know and follow in EMU?
Basically in every academic semester, there are very important dates to know and follow before and during the semester. From dates like registration period, to class commencing period, to English placement date (for new students), to last day for add/drop, to public holidays, to examination schedules, they are necessary for students’ awareness in order to keep to time and fall behind time during the semester. Yearly arrangement can be seen at .
10. Are EMU programs internationally recognized?
All programs of EMU are accredited by YODAK (local higher education council in North Cyprus) and YOK (Higher Education Council of Turkey). Whilst following national standards and paying special attention to quality in education, EMU also sees international accreditation as a foundation for its development. Most of the programs at EMU are further accredited by independent organizations like ABET, ASIIN, EDEXCEL and TEDQUAL.
EMU is a full member of the International Association of Universities, the European University Association, Community of Mediterranean Universities and the Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World. Giving special importance to international recognition, EMU has received the accreditation of various prominent international accrediting bodies. EMU is only the university in Cyprus awarded the prestigious ABET (Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology) in the field of engineering.
Similarly, EMU Architecture Faculty holds the MİAK accreditation. Business and Economics Faculty, Tourism Faculty and School of Computing and Technology have been granted the accreditation of FIBAA. Interior Architecture program of the Faculty of Architecture and English Language Teaching (ELT) program of the Faculty of Education are both accredited by AQAS. Additionally, EMU School of Tourism and Hospitality Management gained the accreditation of TEDQUAL and the Computer Technologies and Information Systems offered by School of Computing and Technology (SCT) successfully passed ASIIN accreditation process. EMU Foreign Languages and English Preparatory School has successfully obtained EDEXCEL accreditation. Last but not the least, our University’s Business and Economics Faculty is a full member of AACSB along with only three universities in Turkey. Check our About EMU page for more information.