EMU-URDC’s Drawing Competition Completed
With the approval of the TRNC Ministry of Education, Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) Urban Research and Development Center (EMU-URDC) organised the ‘City-Children-Traffic: Join Hands for Safe Travel’ titled drawing competition for elementary school students. The competition was organised in order to contribute to the social responsibility projects run under the umbrella of Community Involvement Center and attracted great attention in TRNC.
The competition was organised in memory of the children and adolescents lost to traffic accidents and it aimed to raise awareness on traffic accidents by focusing on urban traffic safety. 1170 students from 19 schools competed at this contest that aimed to draw attention to the traffic issue; one of the most problematic environmental issues of our day. The paintings of the students from Ağırdağ Dağyolu Elementary School, Alayköy Elementary School, Aydınköy Elementary School, Değirmenlik Elementary School, Dipkarpaz Elementary School, Eastern Mediterranean Doğa Elementary School, Doğa International Schools, Girne Şehit Doğan Ahmet Elementary School, Girne American Elementary School, Gönyeli Elementary School, Karşıyaka Merkez Elementary School, Şehit Yalçın Elementary School, Kurtuluş Elementary School, Lapta Elementary School, Mormenekşe Elementary School, TED Koleji, Yakın Doğu Elementary School, Yeniboğaziçi Elementary School and Zümrütköy Elementary School were evaluated on January 7th 2019, Monday by the selecting board. The jury included EMU Faculty of Architecture faculty member Prof. Dr. Mukaddes Polay, EMU-URDC Vice-President Asst. Prof. Dr. Nevter Zafer Cömert, EMU-URDC Board Member Asst. Prof. Dr. Müge Rıza, Artist Zehra Şonya, Artist Nilgün Güney; and Artist and Art Teacher Simge Uygur. The results are as follows:
- First Place: Meryem Göğebakan (Eastern Mediterranean Doğa Elementary School)
- Second Place: Nilsu Sibel Akansoy (Eastern Mediterranean Doğa Elementary School)
- Third Place: Enes Akkuş (Karşıyaka Merkez Elementary School)
- Third Place: Berk Kavazlar (Eastern Mediterranean Doğa Elementary School)
- Honourable Mention: Nesil Göçener (Eastern Mediterranean Doğa Elementary School)
- Honourable Mention: Nurten Açelya Yardımcı (Near East Elementary School)
- Honourable Mention: Arda Turan Kaya (Yeniboğaziçi Elementary School)
- Honourable Mention: Hayrun Nisa İkinci (Yeniboğaziçi Elementary School)
The awards will be presented to the winners at a ceremony to be held on January 14th 2019, Monday (17:30) at Atatürk Cultural Center (Nicosia). The works of all participants will be displayed during the award ceremony. The same exhibition will be on display between 7 and 13 May, 2019 (TRAFFIC WEEK) at EMU.