Center for Strategic Studies
Considering the current state of affairs, it has become indispensable to develop the ability and knowledge necessary for accurate and comprehensive analyses of the events and of the factors that have a determining influence on the issues concerning the island of Cyprus, which has occupied a very important geostrategic position throughout history.
It was decided that all the necessary preconditions and resources for conducting this type of analysis and investigation in an independent and impartial environment were present at Eastern Mediterranean University. Consequently, the Eastern Mediterranean University Center for Strategic Studies (EMU-CSS) was established in the 2000-2001 academic year. EMU has thus assumed a historical mission in terms of the development and utilization of strategic research and planning as an instrument in the service of the state and society.
The EMU-CSS, like all other similar institutions that believe the peace and welfare of the region cannot be left to chance and has to be determined in advance, shall undoubtedly make considerable contributions to the establishment of a viable solution and lasting peace in Cyprus and the region, through the work it has conducted and will be conducting as a leader in the field of strategic research.
The objectives of Eastern Mediterranean University Center for Strategic Studies (EMU-CSS) are as follows:
- to conduct research on all aspects of the international relations of the Republic of Turkey and of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, and specifically on the effects of such issues on the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus;
- to undertake joint studies with other institutions of a similar nature, domestically as well as internationally, to consequently become a center which is in a position to diagnose and investigate both the domestic and international problems of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, and to develop long-term strategic plans;
- to create a motivating and appropriate environment and pertinent resources for those wishing to carry out strategic research;
- to compile a special archive, library, and information center for strategic studies.
Within the framework of these objectives, the EMU-CSS, with contributions from other fields of study, is in the process of expanding a multifaceted approach to security and constitutes a new stage of development in terms of the creation of a geopolitical culture in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
Some of the organizations with which our center has been working in close collaboration are:
- ASAM (Eurasia Center for Strategic Studies)
- SAREM (Strategic Research and Study Center)
- STRM-SAM (T.R. Ministry of External Affairs. Center for Strategic Studies)