Elder Care Associate Program (Turkish)
The fundamental aim of the Elder Care Associate Degree Program is to graduate intermediate workforce who will contribute to the life-quality of the old people by providing rehabilitation and care services. The program takes pride in being the first program in the field of the elder care in the TRNC and carries great importance in increasing the life quality of the elderly.
The program offers various profession-related courses on anatomy, physiology, nutrition and geriatric care. Graduates of the program are qualified health professionals who are equipped with up-to-date information and problem solving skills. They possess cultural understanding and ethical values and, at the same time, give utmost importance to human health. The program is based on course books containing up-to-date information on geriatric care and includes theoretical and practical applications in the field. Program graduates
- are aware of the importance of ethical principles and rules for individuals and the community;
- are able to interpret and evaluate data based on their knowledge in geriatric care; can define, analyse and provide solutions for problematic areas;
- are able to work independently by using the information gained in the field of geriatric care.
- work in line with social, scientific, cultural and ethical values in the collection, interpretation, application and dissemination of the data in the field of geriatric care.
- act in accordance with the laws and regulations, by-laws and professional ethics related to their field.
The program is important in catering for the increasing demand for the elder care staff both in the TRNC and the Republic of Turkey. Prominent academicians from the universities in the Republic of Turkey have agreed to contribute to the program both by providing consultancy and actively delivering courses.
- The program has been developed upon strong academic and physical foundations
- Along with academic activities taking place throughout the academic year, students are provided with summer internship opportunities at well-known health institutions.
- Students may benefit from numerous social, cultural and sports activities offered by clubs and facilities within the university.
- EMU Health Sciences Faculty Center for Healthy Living provides numerous advantages through the anatomy lab, professional skill lab, anthropometry lab and body analysis and metabolism calculation tools.
The working environment for elder care staff is institutions and houses delivering care services. These are:
- Old people’s homes,
- Nursing homes,
- Care services at home,
- Places delivering geriatric care,
- Geronto psychiatric Clinics
Elder care staff members deliver protective and rehabilitative geriatric services to the elderly, sick and disabled people and may pursue employment opportunities at private or state institutions delivering geriatric care.