EMU-URDC Composition Competition Award Ceremony Takes Place
Eastern Mediterranean University Urban Research and Development Center (EMU-URDC) organized a TRNC Ministry of Education and Culture approved composition competition aimed towards middle-school students titled “City – War/Peace”. Awards were presented to the winners of the competition at a ceremony event. The said event which took place at the Rauf Raif Denktaş Culture and Congress Center was attended by Ministry Director Adnan Eraslan.
The opening speech of the ceremony was delivered by EMU-URDC Executive Board Vice-Chair and Faculty of Architecture academic staff member Asst. Prof. Dr. Pınar Uluçay.
During the ceremony EMU Vice Rector and Faculty of Architecture academic staff member academic staff member Prof. Dr. Naciye Doratlı emphasized that sustainable civic life is only possible with tranquility and civic peace, highlighting the importance of peaceful approaches and conversation in the age we are living during which we are witnessing an ever-increasing number of wars.
Wars and Their Effects Were Examined
TRNC Ministry of Education and Culture Director Adnan Eraslan underlined the importance of competitions aimed towards primary and middle-school students in terms of societal development. Thanking EMU-URDC for organizing the second of such competitions Director Eraslan indicated that the ministry will be happy to support such events in the future. A total of 82, 6th, 7th and 8th grade students from across the TRNC participated in the competition entitled 'City-War/Peace'. Students from the Turkish Maarif College, Eastern Mediterranean Doğa College, Famagusta Turkish Maarif College, Demokrasi Middle School, Şehit Turgut Middle School, Bekirpaşa High School, Şehit Hüseyin Ruso Middle School, Doğa International Schools and English School of Kyrenia participated in the competition which examined how wars change and affect the development of cities
The competition entries were evaluated by a jury irrespective of the year students are in. A total of 10 compositions were selected to receive prizes. The successful students are indicated below:
- Nehir Karadağlı, Turkish Maarif College, 7th Year Student
- Süleyman Eren Çelebi, Turkish Maarif College, 7th Year Student
- Elif Ece Yaycı, Turkish Maarif College, 7th Year Student
- Poyraz Akdoğlu, Turkish Maarif College, 7th Year Student
- Özde Taştan, Famagusta Turkish Maarif College, 7th Year Student
- Mevlüt Bilal Karakuş, Şehit Hüseyin Ruso Middle School,
- Aras Çelik, Turkish Maarif College, 6th Year Student
- İsmet Gürmen, Turkish Maarif College, 6th Year Student
- Meliz Yurdaer, Turkish Maarif College, 8th Year Student
- Derin Alemdar, Türk Maarif College, 7th Year Student