CENTER FOR WOMEN’S STUDIES (CWS)
The Center for Women’s Studies (CWS) at Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) is
the first academic research and training center for women in Northern Cyprus. CWS
was established on November 17, 1998 and has worked primarily to encourage sensitivity
towards the problems women face and to raise awareness of women’s issues by bringing
them to the attention of the public.
• Raise public awareness of gender issues
• Promote and conduct interdisciplinary research on gender-specific issues
• Disseminate research findings and conference outcomes to the decision-making mechanisms
in charge of gender-related matters in universities, and
• Promote the status of women
• Facilitate communication with and among institutions and organizations dealing
with women’s issues • Contribute to the development and change of
policies addressing the problems women face
• Provide an archive of information and documentation for the use of researchers
working on gender-related subjects
• Promotion of scholarly research on gender issues
• Preparation of education kits and campaigns to increase gender awareness in schools,
governmental and non-governmental institutions, and the media, among others.
• Publication of periodicals, books and proceedings, addressing women’s issues and
articulating the findings of research in the area
• Organization of conferences, congresses, workshops and seminars
• Opening a women’s studies graduate program at EMU to increase the number and quality of research projects and researchers
• Coordination and cooperation with national
and international organizations and
Kadın/Woman 2000, a bilingual (Turkish/English) journal
of the CWS, is an international publication in print since 2000. Published biannually,
this journal is a multi-disciplinary refereed journal, indexed and abstracted in various databases and dedicated to the scholarly study of
all aspects of women’s
CWS hosted two international conferences on women’s
studies in 2004 and 2006 respectively and the third one is to be held in April 2009.
Every year, CWS organizes and holds seminars and workshops
to raise awareness of gender issues in the university and among the local community. In addition, CWS organizes cultural events and exhibitions of the work of Turkish Cypriot women artists on International Women’s Day.
The Center’s ongoing projects entail topics such as Women
and the Environment, Women and Economic Development, Women and the Media.
CWS has completed the preparatory phase for launching
an interdisciplinary graduate program on Women and Gender Studies in the 2008 –
2009 academic year.
Assoc. Prof. Fatma Güven Lisaniler (Director)
Assist. Prof. Nurten Kara (Vice-Director)
Assist. Prof. Hanife Aliefendioğlu (Member)
Assist. Prof. Pembe Behçetoğulları (Member)
Assoc. Prof. Sevin Uğural (Member)
Telephone: 90 392 630 2269
E – mail: